Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Lava in a Cup!


Today Room 7 learned what it was like to be scientist!
We talked about what science is and decided that science is about doing things like creating, discovering new things, designing, experiencing and making things!
Today we got to experience the Lava in a Cup experiment. 

We had questions like:
Why did the oil float on the top of the water? 
Why did the salt sink to the bottom? 
Why did the oil bubble up to the top?

Well, here is the science behind it:
Oil floats on top of the water because it is lighter than water. The salt is heavier than oil so it sinks down into the water and takes some oil with it. However, then the salt dissolves and back up goes the oil! 


Ingredients that we used today include: oil, water, food colouring (red), and salt.

10 comments:

  1. Wow that looks awesome!I wish I knew how to make one of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dallas,
      It is really easy to make.
      Fill a glass of water about 1/2 way, then a few drops of food colouring, then add 1/4 cup cooking oil. Lastly, add 1 teaspoon of salt. Give it a go at home, it's a lot of fun!

      Delete
  2. Oh maybe I will try that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should :-) I'd love to know if anything different happens?

      Delete
    2. Do you have to put it in one of THOSE cups or can you just put it in any old cup???

      Delete
    3. Any cup is fine as long as it is see through so you can see what happens.

      Delete
  3. cool I might try it tomorrow if I have time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad is just going to do the dishes then he is going to help me with the experiment.

      Delete
    2. Good luck Dallas! Enjoy, post your results too :-)

      Delete
    3. I just tried it out now.So now my papa is coming over to see it because I think sience is his favourite subject.:)

      Delete